Some days you just need something easy to make that’s full of delicious flavor. And y’all know that my go to for that combination involves a slow cooker. I love being able to chop a few ingredients, dump a bunch of things in a pot, and then forget it about while I go to church, do some chores, or whatever. This one is a delicious curry that carries a big punch of flavor. It also makes a LOT of curry, so you can feed a large group or just enjoy leftovers for the rest of the week.
Slow Cooker Basil Chicken Coconut Curry (from The Food Charlatan) (THM S)
6 bone in, skin on chicken thighs – about 2-2 1/2 lb. (The recipe calls for whole thighs that are shredded after cooking. We preferred the texture when the thighs were cut in large chunks that practically fell apart when you ate them. Also, since the recipe instructs you to remove the skin, and I did mine in chunks – I just used boneless, skinless thighs.)
1 tsp. oil
2 13 1/2 oz. cans coconut milk
2 tbsp. dried basil
2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 tbsp. curry powder
1/2-3/4 tsp. chili powder
1 chopped red onion
8 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp. grated ginger
2 seeded, finely chopped jalapenos
1 tbsp. cornstarch (If you’re eating this on THM, you’ll need to leave out the cornstarch. You can either leave it saucy [We did, and it was fine.], or you could thicken it with some glucomannan.)
1 tbsp. cold water (If you’re not using the cornstarch, then you don’t need this either.)
1/3-1/2 c. chopped cilantro
- Use a serrated knife to remove the skin from each thigh. Season them with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the oil, then 3 thighs. Cook 2 minutes per side or til nicely browned. Remove to a plate and repeat with the remaining thighs. (This step is to provide extra flavor, but I feel that it’s optional. I’ve had it made both ways, and couldn’t really tell a difference. So if you want to just put the chicken in the crockpot plain – go ahead!)
- In the crockpot, combine the coconut milk, basil, salt, pepper, curry, and chili powder. Add in the onions, garlic, and jalapenos. Add in the browned (or not browned!) chicken and stir to combine.
- Cook on high 4-5 hours or low 6-8 hours. Remove the chicken and shred, removing any bones and gristle.
- Add the ginger to the slow cooker. (I added mine at the beginning with the other spices just to make my life easy, and because I might forget to otherwise.) Also, combine the cornstarch and cold water, stirring til smooth. Add to the crockpot, stir, and let cook 10 more minutes.
- Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker. Stir, season with salt and pepper to taste, then stir in the cilantro.
Now I guess the question is – do you like curry? (Personally, I just LOVE it!)