I’ve got some healthy-ish cookies for you today, but I’ve also got one very large, very decadent cookie that’s to die for. Let’s save the best for last and start with the healthy-ish (but quite tasty) cookies. The recipe makes about 15 chewy, tasty cookies, that I actually found a touch sweet. Perfect to keep on hand to stave off the cravings for something much more calorie-laden. I also love that they’re quick and easy to pull together.
Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies (from Amy’s Healthy Baking)
1 c. instant oats
3/4 c. whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg white
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. natural peanut butter
1/2 c. honey (I found it a little sweet, so I might reduce the honey next time.)
2 tbsp. dark chocolate chips
1 1/2 tbsp. mini chocolate chips
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the egg white and vanilla. Mix in the peanut butter til smooth, then stir in the honey. Add in the dry mix a bit at a time til just incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Scoop the dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet and flatten each lump slightly. Bake for 11-14 minutes. Cool the cookies on the pan for 10 minutes before moving them to a rack to cool completely.
About a month ago, I saw this next recipe on one of the blogs I follow, and I couldn’t seem to get it out of my mind. The next time my bestie and I got to have a girl’s night, I knew that this would be the perfect dessert. Oh. My. Cow! It’s just so good! My best friend and I think the coconut oil makes it extra delicious. (My hubby on the other hand, was not such a fan. Though he did like it when we re-made it with butter.) It’s easy to whip up and tastes incredible with some vanilla ice cream.
Coconut Oil Skillet Chocolate Chunk Cookie (from Table for Two)
1 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. dark brown sugar
1/2 c. melted coconut oil
2 tsp. vanilla
2/3 c. dark chocolate chunks
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease a 9 inch cast iron skillet. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. (We also added a pinch of salt.)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugars, then add in the coconut oil. Add in the egg and vanilla and whisk til incorporated.
- Add the dry mix to the wet and stir together, then stir in the chocolate chunks.
- Press the dough into the skillet in an even layer. (It will be a tad oily.) Bake for 20 minutes or til the edges are golden and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and let sit 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with ice cream!
What amazing cookies have you tried recently? Or what is you favorite go-to cookie recipe?